Tuesday, April 19, 2011

We Only Get the Outside View

I know that I, especially after 9/11, have the tendency to categorize all people of Middle Eastern ethnicity as terrorist. I also tend to think of these people as being super religious that want to wear their veils all the time. My opinion was definitely changed after reading Persepolis. On the bottom of page 304 there is a picture with the quote, "The more time passed, the more I became conscience of the contrast between the official representation of my country and the real life of the people, the one that went on behind the wall." I think this picture really proves that most people have a set image of all Iranian people in their mind, when in reality we know nothing about anyone from that country. People in Iran have the same interests as Americans, and hate the extremist just as much as Americans, and people of other cultures do. The news does a great job of covering up the real culture of Iran. From the book I have to come realize that people that live in Iran do like to have fun and go to parties just like people of any other culture. These people have jobs and work just as hard as everyone else to be successful. People from Iran are always stereotyped just because of where they are from. Persepolis did a great job of showing the full picture of the life of Iranians. From the news one can only see what the Iranian government wants us to see, but Persepolis introduces us to the real life of an Iranian person.

No comments:

Post a Comment